About Us

Our attorneys work statewide, and ease of access for our clients is important no matter where they live and work. Our offices are located in Freehold and Toms River, New Jersey.

Where to Find Us

Follow Us

If your child is at least 18 years of age, has a disability which manifested before age 22, has been receiving SSI and Medicaid as a result of this disability and has a parent who subsequently dies, becomes disabled or retires, your child may lose their SSI and Medicaid if he or she begins receiving a derivative benefit based on the parent’s record.  The reason is that the monthly Social Security benefit from the parent may exceed resource limits.

Do not panic if you receive such a letter.  The good news is (yes, there is still some good news in the world) that your child may requalify as a Disabled Adult Child under section 1634 of the Social Security Act (the acronym is “DAC”).  If you do not receive a letter informing you that your child can requalify under DAC when you receive the termination of SSI and Medicaid benefits, then call Social Security   at 1-800-772-1213 to request a Benefit Award letter.

The bad news is that if you have not qualified your disabled child over the age of 18 for SSI and Medicaid and a parent passes away, retires or becomes disabled, your child could begin receiving a derivative benefit based on the parent’s record that exceeds resource limits.  Your disabled child may then never qualify for Medicaid.

Do not delay….get out there and get your almost 18 year olds qualified for SSI and Medicaid as soon as possible after their 18th birthdays!

Author:  Anne Marie Mazzu

Call Now Button Skip to content